Nemours A.I. duPont Hospital for Children
1701 Rockland Road, Wilmington, DE 19803 USA
Phone: (1) 302-651-6830
Fax: (1) 302-651-6895
E-mail: nagao @ asel.udel.edu
- Speech and voice characteristics throughout the life course
- Prosodic properties of speech such as intonation, speech rate, or stress
- Cross language study of speech perception of indexical properties (age, sex, language, etc.)
- Speech and voice stereotypes
- Second language production and perception of speech
- Intergenerational and cross-language variation in speech
- PhD. Linguistics and Speech & Hearing Sciences, Indiana University.
- M.A. Linguistics, Indiana University.
- M.A. English (English Linguistics), Konan University.
- B.A. English, Kwansei Gakuin University.
- Assistant Research Scientist, Nemours Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Auditory Physiology and Psychoacoustics Research Lab, Mar. 2010 – present.
- Postdoctoral fellow, Nemours Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Speech Research Lab, Aug. 2007 – Mar. 2010.
- Research associate, Voice Physiology Lab, Indiana University, Oct. 2006 – Jul. 2007
- Graduate research assistant, Linguistics Speech Lab, Indiana University, Aug. 2000 – May 2006.
- Research trainee at NTT Basic Research Laboratories, Atsugi, Japan, Apr. – Aug. 2000.
- Part time research assistant at ATR, Kyoto, Japan, Jan. – Mar. 2000.
Professional and University Activities
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Delaware, Department of Linguistics and Cognitive Science, Feb. 2008 – present.
- Website Administrator, Women in Acoustics, Acoustical Society of America, Oct. 2010 – present.
- Associate editor, IULC Working Papers Online, 2000 – 2002
- Webmaster, Indiana University Linguistics Speech Laboratory, 2001–2004
- Volunteer speaker of the Global Speakers Services, 1997–2004
- Guest speaker, Asian Culture Center, 2003
- Instructor for S319/S519: Mathematical Foundations of Speech and Hearing, 2006 Fall.
- Instructor for S111/S511: Introduction of Phonetics for Speech and Hearing Sciences, 2006 Fall.
- Assistant Instructor for L541: Introductory to Phonetics, 2004 Spring.
- Instructor of Japanese (Beginner and Intermediate) at ACC, Indiana University, Bloomington. Sep.-Dec. 2003 (Fall 2003).
- Instructor of Japanese (Beginner and Intermediate) at ACC, Indiana University, Bloomington. Jan.-May. 2003 (Spring 2003).
- Part time lecturer of English at YMCA, Kobe, Japan, Apr. 1995 – Mar. 1996.
Born and raised in Kobe, Japan, a cosmopolitan port city with spectacular views of the bay area. I currently live near the Delaware River. It's close to the Atlantic Ocean, but I still miss the ocean view in Kobe. I love cats and dogs, and live with one giant Maine Coon cat and one giant Saint Bernard.