[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

schedule for the symposium

Hello.  I hope all of you are looking forward to the symposium.
Following is the schedule for the weekend.  If you have any questions,
feel free to send them to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of you soon.

Holly

AAAI Fall Symposium, 9-11 November 1996
Developing Assistive Technology for People with Disabilities

In each of the four paper sessions (Mobility Aids I and II,
Human-Computer Interaction Aids and Language Aids), we want to focus
on the discussion of open problems and issues in the areas instead of
each individual's work.  The working notes for the symposium have been
mailed to all of the participants, so everyone will have had a chance
to read the papers before coming to the symposium.  (Of course, if you
have questions on papers for authors, you should feel free to bring
them to the symposium.)  In your presentations, if you'd like to give
a demo of your system or show a videotape, we welcome that.  We just
ask that you let the papers speak for the details of your work and use
your presentation to open the discussion on where work in assistive
technology (and, particularly, in your area of assistive technology)
should be heading.

*** Saturday, 9 November ***

9:00-9:15
Introduction
   Holly Yanco

9:15-10:00
The need for accomodation in the workplace
   Paul Meyer
   President's Committee on the Employment of People with Disabilities

10:00-10:30
Discussion related to Paul Meyer's talk

10:30-11:00
Break

11:00-12:00
Opportunities for AI in the use of computer-based cognitive prosthetics
   Mark Friedman and Elliot Cole

12:00-12:30
Formation of lunch workgroups and introduction of discussion topic
(Open problems in assistive technology, technology transfer to and
from the AI community, convincing the AI community that this is
important research)

12:30-2:00
Lunch with workgroups

2:00-2:30
Workgroup reports and discussion

2:30-3:30
Mobility Aids I
   Peter Bonasso
   Gordon Kao, Penny Probert and David Lee
   Gerard Lacey and Kenneth M. Dawson-Howe

   Each person in this session (one per paper) will have up to ten
   minutes to discuss the needs and open problems of their work.  The
   three most important should be highlighted.  These (along with
   possible solutions from others' work) will be discussed in an open
   Q&A discussion format for the remainder of the session.

3:30-4:00
Break

4:00-5:30
Language Aids
   Ann Copestake (with demo)
   Kathleen McCoy, Patrick Demasco, et al.
   Kathleen McCoy, Christopher Pennington and Linda Suri
   TOKUDA Masaaki and OKUMURA Manabu
   Thad Starner and Alex Pentland (demo of work on Sunday)

   Each person in this session (one per paper) will have up to ten
   minutes to discuss the needs and open problems of their work.  The
   three most important should be highlighted.  These (along with
   possible solutions from others' work) will be discussed in an open
   Q&A discussion format for the remainder of the session.

6:00-7:00 Reception

*** Sunday, 10 November ***

9:00-10:30
Mobility Aids II
   Jill Crisman and Michael Cleary
   Takashi Gomi
   David Miller
   Richard Simpson, Simon Levine and Heidi Horstmann Koester

   Each person in this session (one per paper) will have up to ten
   minutes to discuss the needs and open problems of their work.  The
   three most important should be highlighted.  These (along with
   possible solutions from others' work) will be discussed in an open
   Q&A discussion format for the remainder of the session.

10:30-11:00
Break

11:00-12:15
Human-Computer Interaction Aids
   James Gips (with demo of EagleEyes)
   Zunaid Kazi et al.
   Steve Mann (with demo later in the day)
   Polly Pook
   Christophe Ramstein and Jean-Francois Arcand

   Each person in this session (one per paper) will have up to ten
   minutes to discuss the needs and open problems of their work.  The
   three most important should be highlighted.  These (along with
   possible solutions from others' work) will be discussed in an open
   Q&A discussion format for the remainder of the session.

12:15-12:30
Formation of lunch workgroups and topic introduction
(User interface issues)

12:30-2:00
Lunch with workgroups

2:00-3:30
Workgroup reports
User interface discussion

3:30-4:00
Break

4:00-5:30
Demos at Media Lab
   Thad Starner, Real-time ASL recognition
   Steve Mann, Wearable computing for the disabled
   (to run concurrently for 25 minute blocks, with a 5 minute switch)

6:00-8:00
Plenary Session

*** Monday, 11 November ***

9:00-10:30
Symposia-wide invited talk:
The HAL 9000 Computer and the Vision of "2001: A Space Odyssey"
   David G. Stork
   Ricoh California Research Center and Stanford University

10:30-11:00
Break

11:00-12:30
Concluding discussions