The pageturner questionnaire was developed by the Pageturner Design Team of the Consumer Innovation Laboratory and was sent out to 190 individuals. We received 47 responses and compiled the resulting information from these questionnaires. The purpose of the survey was to gather information from as many consumers as possible since these are the people we wish to help with the design of this product. The answers to the questions will help us get a better understanding of what consumers want in a pageturner. This report contains the questions that appeared on the questionnaire and the results obtained from the consumers who responded. *
*Note: the number of responses to some questions vary due to the fact that some individuals did not answer all questions.
1. How many hours per week do you currently spend reading ?
|Number of Respondents = 47|
|under 1 hour||1-3 hours||3-5 hours||over 5 hours|
2. If you had a pageturner, would you spend more time reading ?
|Number of Respondents = 45|
3. A) How important would it be for a pageturner to be able to handle each of the following reading materials:
|Number of Respondents||47||46||45||42||41||41|
|-||Very Important||Somewhat Important||Not Important|
|(a) Hard-cover books||25||53.19%||10||21.28%||12||25.53%|
|(b) Soft-cover books||22||47.83%||12||26.09%||12||26.09%|
|(e) Loose sheets||11||26.83%||8||19.51%||22||53.66%|
|(f) Loose-leaf notebooks||13||31.71%||9||21.95%||19||46.34%|
3. B) How difficult is it for you to currently handle each of the following reading materials:
|Number of Respondents||46||46||45||42||41||38|
|-||Very Difficult||Somewhat Difficult||Not Difficult|
|(a) Hard-cover books||14||30.43%||11||23.91%||21||45.65%|
|(b) Soft-cover books||11||23.91%||9||19.57%||26||56.52%|
|(e) Loose sheets||9||21.95%||3||7.32%||29||70.73%|
|(f) Loose-leaf notebooks||8||21.05%||3||7.89%||27||71.05%|
4. How do you currently turn pages?
Most people who responded to this question are able to use their hands to turn pages. Some people say they have trouble with large and heavy books or need the reading material placed directly in front of them in order to handle turning pages. Others say that they usually wet their fingers in order to help them turn the pages. A few require assistance from others to help turn pages and some get tired after turning pages for a significant amount of time.
5. Would you rather read: (a) pages from a book or (b) a computer screen ?
|Number of Respondents = 46|
|(a) pages from a book||(b) computer screen|
Note: one person had no preference between the two choices.
6. For what activities would you use a pageturner:
|Number of Respondents = 39|
7. What type of power source would be best ?
|Number of Respondents = 41|
8. How would you describe your ability to load a pageturner ?
(a) I would need to have the book completely set up for me.
(b) I could put the book onto the pageturner, but would need help opening the book.
(c) I could envision being able to load a pageturner unaided.
|Number of Respondents = 34|
|(a) Complete help||(b) Some help||(c) No help|
9. Do you feel that it is important for the pageturner to:
(a) Turn pages both forward and backward ?
(b) Turn a large number of pages at one time?
(c) Have a magnification option?
|Number of Respondents||40||37||40|
|(a) Turn pages both forward and backward||(b) Turn a large number of pages at one time|
|-||(c) Have a magnification option||-|
10. Should the pageturner come with a table with wheels for mobility?
|Number of Respondents = 33|
11. Which is more important: (a) independence of use or (b) cost ?
|Number of Respondents = 42|
|(a) independence of use||(b) cost|
Note: two individuals felt that both choices were equally important.
12. If a pageturner was easy to use, worked correctly, and had all the features that you wanted, how much would this device be worth ?
|Number of Respondents = 35|
|under $500||$500-$1000||$1000-$1500||over $1500|
13. Do you feel that you would benefit from a pageturner ?
|Number of Respondents = 44|
14. List any features, suggestions, or comments which you feel would be important in the design of a pageturner.
Respondents listed several features which were important to them including:
Other comments include: