Vol. 1, Issue 2 -- August, 1995
Auto-Vac Survey Results
By Bob Piech
In the last issue of this newsletter we submitted a survey questionnaire in
order to get your input on designing a modified vacuum cleaner for people
with limited mobility. We now present the results of that survey.
The following page represents a tally of responses to the Consumer Survey
on Vacuuming. This survey questionnaire was given to the members of the
Automatic Vacuum Cleaner Design Team and was also mailed out to the Consumer
Innovation Laboratory mailing list. This report covers the responses of 24
completed questionnaires, six from the design team members and 18 received
from the mailing that went out.
The majority of respondents could perform vacuuming with either some
difficulty or no limitations. The highest frequency of vacuuming indicated
was once a week or as needed. Respondents interested to purchase an
accessible vacuum cleaner outweighed those not interested by a factor of
greater than three to one. An overwhelming majority indicated they would be
willing to pay more for an accessible vacuum cleaner than the cost of their
standard vacuum cleaner. What was considered an acceptable price varied
widely, but most respondents selected between $200 - $500. Remote controlled
and battery powered was the most requested accessibility option.
Note: the validity of some responses may be suspect due to the fact that one
respondent indicated no interest in an accessible vacuum cleaner but went on
to complete other questions relating to preference of features and cost
associated with an accessible vacuum cleaner.
Consumer Survey on Vacuuming
Consumer Innovation Laboratory
A.I. duPont Institute
We are very grateful for your time in filling out this survey. Please answer
all questions to the best of your knowledge. Your answers will help us in
making better decisions during the design of an accessible vacuum cleaner.
If you need assistance of any kind with this survey, call Bob Piech at
(302)651-6830 (voice); (302)651-6834 (TDD).
- Please describe your ability to use a standard vacuum cleaner ? (check all
- 6 -- I am physically unable to use a standard vacuum cleaner.
- 10 -- My wheelchair makes it difficult to manage a standard vacuum cleaner.
- 3 -- I have difficulty using a standard vacuum cleaner because of arthritis.
- 8 -- I have difficulty using a standard vacuum cleaner because of limited hand function.
- 3 -- I can use a standard vacuum cleaner, but tire quickly.
- 7 -- I have no limitations.
- Who normally does your vacuuming ?
- 9 -- I do
- 9 -- Another household member
- 6 -- A paid cleaning person
- If you employ someone to do your vacuuming, how much do you pay for that
- Wide range, see narrative
- How often is your house vacuumed ?
- 2 -- once a day
- 10 -- once a week
- 1 -- once a month
- 10 -- as needed
- 1 -- other: Every 2 weeks
- How long does it take to vacuum your house at one time ?
- 0 -- less than 5 minutes
- 10 -- 5-20 minutes
- 9 -- 21-40 minutes
- 4 -- 41-60 minutes
- 2 -- longer
- How long does it take you to spot clean with a vacuum ?
- 0 -- less than 1 minute
- 17 -- 1-10 minutes
- 4 -- 11-20 minutes
- 1 -- longer
- How much did you pay for your last vacuum cleaner ?
- $40-$400 (most responses between $100-$200)
- Would you be interested in purchasing an accessible vacuum cleaner if
one was available ?
- How much would you be willing to pay for an accessible vacuum cleaner ?
- 0 -- less than my standard vacuum
- 7 -- the same as my standard vacuum
- 7 -- a little more than my standard vacuum
- 3 -- twice as much as my standard vacuum
- 3 -- more than twice my standard vacuum
- What dollar amount would you be willing to pay for an accessible vacuum
- 5 -- under $100
- 5 -- $100 - $200
- 6 -- $201 - $300
- 5 -- $300 - $500
- 1 -- $500 - $1000
- What modification do you think would be most useful for you ?
- 3 -- adapted handle
- 5 -- improved power cord management
- 4 -- pushed manually, battery powered
- 9 -- remote-controlled, battery powered
- 9 -- completely automated
- Do you have any other comments that would relate to the design of an
accessible vacuum cleaner ?
Would you be willing to be interviewed further ? Name:___________________;